My Top Picks for Best Web Hosting
When you’re first building a website, one of the most important things is choosing a good hosting plan. In this post, I wanted to mention some companies that I found to be the best “bang for your buck”—in addition to their pros and cons.
Although this list doesn’t cover a fraction of the great web hosts out there, I wanted to share my personal experiences and/or experiences from other clients about these particular companies.
One thing I have always particularly loved about SiteGround is their fast support. Talking to a representative within minutes is super easy with their live chat feature.
Additionally, I find that their speed is superior compared to other companies such as HostGator and BlueHost. (They include a SuperCacher with “GrowBig” plans and up.)
- Great website speed with the SuperCacher (select plans only)
- Fast, knowledgeable support
- Reliable, easy-to-restore, free full account backups
- Free SSL on all sites
- User-friendly account management/client area
- A bit more on the pricey side, especially with renewal
- Not as much space/storage for the price you’re paying
HostGator offers some great plans for people just starting up their business and want to stay in budget.
One thing I particularly like about HostGator is the fact that they auto-install SSL certificates to any new add-on domains; this saves the hassle of trying to do it via the cPanel.
- Affordable, good for people trying to stay within budget
- Straight forward customer portal and cPanel
- Easy WordPress/other CMS installs for all domains in the account
- Free SSL on all sites
- Customer portal is sketchy at times, full invoices don’t always show up
- No extra caching system that some other hosts provide/offer; websites can be very slow unless you add an additional caching plugin
- Additional charge for backup restoration; not a great backup system overall
Out of the hosting companies I’ve worked with, I find that InMotion has the most knowledgeable staff. One thing that made them stand out to me is the fact that they were able to solve every issue I encountered with 1 or 2 interactions.
- Very knowledgeable support team, can help with any issue
- Great website speed with NGINX cache (select plans only)
- Offers a variety of plans to fit your budget
- Wait times can be very long when contacting the support team
- No “unlimited websites” feature in the basic plans (unlike most hosting companies)
If you look online for top rated hosts, you’ll find lots of great companies that can fulfill your business needs. The most important thing to keep in mind is whether it’s a reliable company that provides the support customers need. Also, looking at the features within each plan (SSL certificates, bandwidth, storage, etc.) can help you decide what fits your needs best.
About the Author
Kayli Parks is a freelance web and graphic designer based in Sacramento, CA. After almost 4 years of working in the design business, Kayli’s goal is to continue helping others with their online presence through responsive web design. Learn more about Kayli here.